[meteorite-list] Suspected meteorite. Basaltic rock with a fusion crust. Your opinion please, terrestrial origin?

From: Randall Gregory <randall_gregory_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 15:16:28 -0800 (PST)

John,

  Thank you for your prompt reply and offer of assistance,

  All I can say is, WOW. It is indeed a small world. I'm sorry you never had the opportunity to view Misti and the other dormant ring volcanoes here in Arequipa. In the early morning when the air is clear, it is truly an amazing sight. I also hope that when you were in Cusco that you had a chance to visit Machu Picchu and Sacred Valley. My wife and I asked the park director for special permission to spend the night in Machu Picchu since park closes around dusk. I made a little donation to his Annual Machu Picchu Christmas Party Fund ;) The informal system here in Peru. I love it!!

  Needless to say, it was a very moving and somewhat spiritual experience. Part of the night was spent in the arena where the Inca's sacrificed children to their Gods. We tried to imagine what their night-time ceremonies were like. Quite tragic.

  The Incan architecture is mind-boggling in its scope and precision, and how they have fresh flowing water on top of that mountain is still somewhat of a mystery to me. We had Machu Picchu totally to ourselves for an entire night. I'll never forget it. Like the night Manta dives in Kona... memories to last a lifetime.

  Whoops, digressing here. Back to the problem. I'm a layperson with no formal training in Geology, Volcanology, or Cosmo-chemistry. I am searching for the truth about these rocks and so far, nobody in the meteorite community can positively identify them as meteorites. Most of them have very little field experience and have attempted to offer opinions as to what they might be. Alot of the responders have said desert varnish and obsidian type of rocks. Both of these have been ruled-out by the geologists here in Peru at the National University of San Augustin.

  I'll give you a brief background. I love to collect minerals and fossils. I was looking for nice but inexpensive piece of native Peruvian jewelry for my wife when I noticed this very unique stone. I asked the dealer from what area this rock came from and he told me the Aplao area. Just out of curiosity, I asked a friend where Aplao was. He said that's where the "big meteorite" fell. After investigated further, I found that this was not just a fall, but one of the largest falls in recent history. It registered 4.0 Richter at multiple seismic stations.

  More of the story can be found at:

  http://www.geocities.com/astroycpa/meteoritoaqp2feb2004.html

  After some time, people stopped looking for the crater. Since there is only around 160 known craters I felt the information on this fresh fall could provide the scientific community with very valuable information. To make a very long story short, I spent months organizing expeditions into the Peruvian desert and finally found the crater. Some geologists, who are now close friends, have accompanied me on these expeditions. They taught me a great deal about the desert environment.

  I also found the same type of rocks in the general area of the crater as the one I purchased in the jewelry store. During that time, I researched the Internet on meteorites, looked at hundreds of meteorite images, consulted with geologists and seismologists, and solicited opinions of respect people in the meteorite community. Unfortunately, the meteorite community has a tainted eye. Some have been very nice and offered genuine advice and opinions. Others have ridiculed me and had me run the gauntlet. To date, nobody has yet identified this rocks as terrestrial or non-terrestrial.

  One very unusual characterize of my samples is that they are absolutely identical to the first few images on www.venusmeteorite.com . The author of this website claims his rocks have a Venusian origin. I don't make any claims. I just want to find the truth.

  Since, I am unable to prove my samples are meteorites, I've decided to take the opposite approach and try to prove they're terrestrial. This is why I asked for your help.

  I hope you've had the experience of going to Green Sand Beach at South Point. If you have then you'll remember the wind farm. I talked to the supervisor of the wind farm one day and he told me that when digging the cables for the wind turbines, the contractor almost went bankrupt because the lava was so extremely hard.

  Preliminary testing has shown my samples exceed 8.0 (Mohs). In your experience, can lava exceed 8.0 (mohs) ? I know special heat treatments to basalt can raise their hardness level. In your estimation, what kind of heat is needed to raise the hardness of basalt. Could volcanic reheating of existing basalt accomplish this?

  I'm still in Peru, but as soon as I return to the United States, I'll send you what I have. What would cover your total costs?

  Just out of curiosity, do you live on the Big Island? I hope on the dry side!

  Aloha,

  Randall

John Lockwood <jplockwood at volcanologist.com> wrote:
  HI Randall!

        Small world and all that. My wife and I were in Arequipa last year (to look at El Misti shrouded in clouds and haze unfortunately) and on way to visit friends in Cuzco..... I've met Keith while working on the Ranch, but only briefly.

        Sure - I'd be happy to look at your sample - though I'm not an expert on meteoritics if they turn out to be such.... If they're volcanic I can help.....Cutting a thin section (needed thickness 40 microns) requires special lab tools - which I do not have available - I'd need to send a thicker slice to a thin section lab - cost $10 or so....

        Enjoy Peru - a neat country!

        Aloha,

        Jack