[meteorite-list] www.venusmeteorite.com - what are your opinions on this claim

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 14:16:23 -0800 (PST)

--- "Sterling K. Webb" <sterling_k_webb at sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

> [I have a theory, of course, but not room enough
> in this margin to write it down.]

I believe Fermat wrote something the same thing and it
took nearly 300 years to prove it. Sterling, make a
mental note to ACTUALLY write the theory down to save
some poor sucker from having to write a 200page thesis
in the future.

Would not Martian ablation on the way out from Mars
simply be destroyed by terrestrial ablation on the way
in to us? You know how much of the meteorites are
removed by the process. I find it difficult to believe
any could survive.

I often thought that rock could escape it's host
planet through the rarefaction zone above the
impactors trajectory. However, how this tallies with
low shock levels I don't know.
As I understand, the low shock would need to be right
at the very edge of the impact site. Not ideal for
launching up into a rarefaction zone. ...

Unless, {and here's a wild guess that's probably WAAAY
off but I'll accept criticism with dignity, only a
little sobbing and wailing}...

Could a low angle impact [1-3degrees] produce
sufficient rarefaction befind it to allow the low
shocked rock at the trailing edge of the impact site
to be 'grazed off' in a backward direction, back up
the initial path of the impactor?

Rob McC