[meteorite-list] Some thoughts on Larry Atkin's Recent Holbrook Find

From: mexicodoug at aim.com <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 10:38:35 -0500

Hello from the field, after being blasted out of Holbrook yesterday
morning.

I can say that two days ago in the Holbrook strewn field, I was camping
in the middle of it, which is basically an erroded shrub, dry lake mud
flat. It was drizzling all day long, making a wicked cold burn, but
other than that and all the mud cakes on my sneakers, it was a fine day
for hunting.

I was caught rather far away from my truck after spiraling around my
well-worked strewn field base and a nice juicy rainstorm came rolling
down the plains. I kept hunting until thoroughly soaked, cold and then
remembering that I was parked in a mud flat. It was pretty comical to
run all the way back jumping from errosion cone to errosion cone in
this alluvial mess where it looks like mostly dried sagebrush type
vegetation, and the mud on the sneakers became ruddy sliding disks the
sizes of tennis rackets inviting a slip landing on the rump.

The camp and vehicle was in the middle of a lake now, but luck was with
me I got some new tires. I did make it out, and now am reflecting on
the comments in this message by John - which are all very reasonable.

One pleasant side effect was plenty of time to hurridly contemplate a
run clear across the strewn field during the rain. First the water
puddled in the low spots, but as in any dry lake type plain, it then
started flowing. Holbrook is like a sandy beach with dunes and weak
root systems in scattered bush holding together for its life. This
flowing when wet in the silt and clay continually shifts the sands and
the clays, which one can see evidence of cracking. The cracks
themselves in drying areas can be a couple of cm's thick easily where
all kinds of grapeshot meteorites and a myriad of stones can fall and
get recycled to the surface. Even a big rock can easily get silt
covered, and depending where it is, hide until its predestined lucky
finder walks up to it.

As to the big hole, I stumbled across it a day earlier. I had parked
about 125 meters from it without having the slightest idea of its
whereabouts, nor actually caring too much since I was out to make
history, not record it. Also in the vicinity were a duo of cool
hunters - Ruben (who looked like a bad ninja on a quadrimoto) and Earl
(who looked like Ghost Rider). I found three tiny specks of fragments
left in what I thought to be and the fellow hunters confrmed to be that
unique Holbrook space rock rich uric color, so unless someone is
playing a joke, I can personally confirm that the big hole had
meteorite residue in it. It was on the corner of an errosion cone,
near an active arroyo and where lots of water flowed during rains - so
it is easy to imagine what happened in this case. As John mentioned
and I also did above...it was a lot like the dunes at the high tide
line of a Florida or Venetian beach.... Larry Luck hit the jackpot,
but after spending some time there and getting all muddy again, it was
time to move on. There is more to be found, but Holbrook for me was
not as beautiful as other strewn fields, suffering a bit from the
"taming of the west" as a strewn field of garbage in places. I did see
the main mass of all the little Holbrooks on several ocassions. It was
a very old and big desert hare. I found a fresh dime and a nickel
which excited meteorite hunters no doubt had lost, plus a very old
marble that maybe Nininger lost early on. And there was a coyote's
tail and the tailfeather of a blue bird, most probably a common jay.

Best wishes, Doug