[meteorite-list] TUCSON AUCTIONS

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 06:26:27 -0800

on 2/10/07 12:07 AM, Bill at glixard at inbox.com wrote:
> All auction results are public in most states. If an auctioneer doesn't want
> to share results, you write them down and record it yourself. You can't be
> restricted from doing so and sharing the results.
>
> The Langs post public ADS here all the time. I expect them to at least answer
> these questions in public.
----------
Hi Bill and all,
        Due to responses from both collectors and a few dealers (and the
lack of dealer response) AND due to the fact that, indeed people at the
auction can and do write down prices - often the WRONG prices (as
per Mike Farmer's - at least in the instance of the piece I bid on as
an absentee bidder), I will be posting results shortly.
        It should be noted that one of the things I mentioned may have
been at play in Al's auction "results" is that he apparently did not
mention the absentee bids at the auction, itself. This apparently
contributed mightily to the inaccurate reports of prices, including
Mike Farmer's report.
        In my own auction I always "bid for" the absentee bidder or have
someone else do so, so the crowd in the room can bid against him
(and they usually outbid him). In any event, the final price is always
declared at the auction and the bidding number for absentee bidders is
always in the 200s, making it clear to anyone awake that the winner
was an absentee bidder.
        Someone commented to the effect that putting together
a well organized auction of 100 pieces was child's play. They
obviously have never put together an auction.
        In any event, I will be posting results in the immediate future,
since I do not want false results posted and there has been a lack
of negative response to this issue. Personally, I always would have
preferred to do so - though I saw negatives in doing so, the plusses
outnumbered the negatives - and in light of recent events and inaccurate
rumors of prices, it is the thing to do to be clear to everyone everything
is on the up and up. (I can only be responsible for my own auction, of
course).
        Best wishes, Michael