[meteorite-list] Neutron production in hyper-velocity impacts

From: mexicodoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 12:16:45 -0600

Hi G?ran, Rob, Sterling, Darren, Ed, and other nuclear meteoriticists,

What an impressive post from G?ran, don't you think? Rob has given us an
interesting option to think about measuring residue from a nuclear blast
during the time frames of interest.

While I'm not able to judge the preferred way to look at this, I think it is
safe to say the summary is a very useful framework to investigate the
problem which could be restated as this, so it is easy to answer G?ran "Am I
totally wrong or not?" with:....at least partially right unless Rob comes up
with some freaky plasma behavior.

The major assumption of this framework is considering the impact as a black
body of a given temperature (The "correct" temperature may not be obvious,
nor the modeling as a sphere and the 50% assumption during such violence,
either).

A black body is only a theoretical construct with its associated limitations
in real events, and here it is being stretched for a short timescale and
then to look at an emission frequency range at the very upper limit. If the
answer comes out that there is a tiny, tiny amount of radiation at the high
energy needed, and as G?ran was careful to cover his bases - that
statistically that flux provides enough shots to get at lease some eventual
holes-in-one.

Building on G?ran's work, could I ask him, what happens if we agree with the
mechanism, but are too overwhelmed with honing properly all the assumptions:

Consider we have a very short timescale. Can we do a Darren check on the
black body temperature of 50,000 degrees and then check to see if you need a
radiating area bigger than Texas to get 2 gamma photons above 2.4 x 10^20 Hz
(=1 MeV)? I haven't done any math (it's a numerical integration, isn't
it?), so if there is a lot, sorry, but given the T^4 power vs. the exponent,
I think it is easy to get incredible amounts of power/energy into one of
these black bodies (actually, speaking of the emission curve), without
lifting the high-energy thumbtack opposite the long tail...

Best wishes and Great Health,
Doug