[meteorite-list] Stuff

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 05:28:25 -0800

Hola All,
1) Thanks Darren, and others who messaged me in private.
2) Pete,
By making such a message public, you most certainly meant it to be
offensive; otherwise, you would have addressed it privately. You
meant for everyone to see it, whether or not you gave the post
adequate thought before posting it...

That said, what I've been saying all along is that one simply can't
draw solid conclusions from a *lack of evidence.*
I haven't had any premeditated ideas about what caused these dust
layers/extinctions. I openly admitted several times that I have no
bloody idea what did it. I do, however, know some statistics, as well
as physics, both of which point towards certain scenarios being either
highly unlikely or, physically speaking, impossible.
I'm not saying that certain events didn't necessarily happen. In most
cases, it's easy enough to say that the observed effects do not match
a given possibility for what did, according to E.P., occur.

My issue isn't with such events occurring (unless we're talking about
a 1km body vaporizing like Tunguska, because, in terms of physics, I
simply don't see why such a body would vaporize before striking the
ground), but rather with the fact that he isn't looking at evidence
objectively, and also isn't being open-minded when it comes to all of
the possible scenarios that could create the observed geologic
results.

Because of a lack of solid evidence for any conclusion at this point
in time, simply put, no firm conclusions can be drawn.
And you call me biased....maybe to the 'theory' that KE = 1/2mv^2, I suppose.
I've only been arguing based on impact dynamics and known facts.
E.P., in case you didn't notice, was the one pulling airbursts and
craters out from 'twixt his cheeks.
Admittedly, some of what I said could probably have been
better-explained, and I did mix-up 30 degrees from horizontal vs
vertical, but even Sterling made some mistakes in the discussion; it's
complex stuff that not many of us deal with on a day-to-day basis, and
as such, I'm of the opinion that ideas should be thrown around - with
the general acceptance that such ideas are nothing more than theory
and are in no way to be called 'facts.' Because saying that would be
*wrong.*

I love how you refer to me in the third-person as well...I find
it...interesting.....

Merry Christmas,
Jason