[meteorite-list] C14, ALH8401, and martian meteorites

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 16:07:12 -0800 (PST)

Hi Sterling -

More on the theory of everything.

I understand what you were trying to say now. I'm glad
you understand nuclear chemistry, it's certainly not
my field. (There you go, Jason, that's how one offers
evidence, how one admits a mistake, and also how one
says I don't know. This type of exchange of
information is generally known as "civil discussion".)

Back in about 1972, I decided to wait until the
physicists had it figured out before learning about
particles - there had been too many (conflicting)
theories proposed. I agree that the rays, waves
terminology is difficult in that it hides the
particles.

Since living organisms resist the uptake of C14, then
the structure in ALH84001 must necessarily be a
fossil, end of debate. The work of Dr. McKay in
Houston and particularly the nuclear imaging team at
Berkeley confirmed, assuming that biological
processes are identical everywhere (no small
assumption).

Further, given one proven fossil, everyone here who
owns similar types of Martian meteorites may already
have the next fossil to be found already in their
possession.

But back to the problem at hand: hypervelocity
impacts, neutron production, and 14C. (Apparently its
"nucleons" now a days - with neutrons being a type of
"baryon"...oh well.)

I wonder, do meteors throw off photons in the x-ray
range? (Hell, are they still called "photons" now?)
Its truly wonderous how a pea size grain entering the
Earth's atmosphere can throw off enough photons to
illuminate a hemisphere.

All that we have to work with are the radio-dating
calibration charts and the impacts.

Its springtime in Antarctica, so the meteorite hunters
there must be busy at work.

good hunting all,
E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas

> How about more quote? "The rock the researchers
>studied contained cell-size grains of a mineral
called >apatite, a component of all organisms. They
suspected >the apatite might be a marker of ancient
life, so they >sliced open about 50 grains and looked
at them under >an electron microscope.

>The grains, the researchers found, turned out to have
>carbon cores. To determine the carbon's source, the
>researchers made use of an ion microprobe... They
>found that each grain contained on average 3 percent
>more carbon 12 than an inorganic origin would allow.
>"There is no known inorganic process on Earth that
can >mimic this isotopic signature..."