[meteorite-list] Mammoth Stew - first you cut up the Mammoth

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 17:42:15 -0800

Hola Sterling, All,

> Don't want to do a full-court press here or have
> a knock down drag out. The point of "atmosphere
> not a factor in that size range" is merely that an
> impactor that makes a one kilometer crater is not
> going to be stopped from reaching the surface by
> the Earth's atmosphere; that's all.

At a shallow enough angle, I might beg to differ...especially if we're
talking about friable cometary material, but I really couldn't say for
sure given my range of knowledge.

> As for the angle of an impact, that is a datum
> obscured by the event. There is no way to derive
> the angle of impact from the resulting crater in any
> except the smallest and weakest events. Any angle
> of incidence over 15 degrees produces a round,
> level crater. At 15 degrees or less, elliptical craters
> are produced.

I know as much...my point is that I might expect more damage due to
the greater the angle of impact (to the horizontal - it was pointed
out to me that we must be clear about whether we're talking about
degrees in relation to horizontal vs. vertical) due to the combined
effects of less atmospheric drag as well as greater force being turned
directly into heat as opposed to moving ejecta farther, as would occur
with an elliptical crater. I may well be wrong, but it seems to me
that both of these might have something of an effect on the
climatological effects of an impact.

> Meteor Crater (aka Barringer) is low angle:
> http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1995Metic..30Q.567R
> Gene Shoemaker's classic 1960 analysis that
> established it was an impact crater, still a hot
> dispute "in the day." A history of the dispute,
> and in particular the finding that angle of incidence
> has no effect on crater formation can be found in:
> http://www.enotes.com/earth-science/barringer-meteor-crater
> "Barringer and his 12-year-old son set out to
> experiment with the formation of such craters by
> firing bullets into clumps of rock and mud. Regardless
> of the firing angle, the Barringers demonstrated
> (and published their results in both popular and
> scientific magazines) that the resulting craters
> were substantially round. More definitive proof
> was subsequently provided in 1924 by calculations
> of astronomers who determined that forces of
> impact at astronomical speeds likely resulted in
> the explosive destruction of the impacting body.
> Importantly, regardless of the angle of impact,
> the result of such explosions would leave rounded
> craters."

I've been collecting meteorites for about ten years now; I know...

> Such experimental crater-forming data show
> that impacts above a certain energy level (a rather
> low level, too) preserve only the fact of the total
> energy required to produce them, as any really big
> explosion does. Such factors as angle of incidence,
> direction of travel, velocity of impactor, and/or type
> of impactor may inferred from circumstantial traces
> in a recent, well-preserved crater, if such traces are
> present. Usually this only happens in "small" craters,
> like the Arizona one. The bigger the crater, the less
> the chance of such indicators surviving.

I do read books, time permitting....this is a nice breakdown, but I
know all of it already.

> Jason wrote:
>
> > the likelihood of an impact occurring at an angle
> > of ~30 degrees or less is simply unlikely. Possible,
> > but unlikely - as in odds are that it would not occur
> > this way. I'm not an idiot.
>
> Impactors large enough to make a respectable crater
> do not have an entry affected by aerodynamic forces
> nor altered by gravity after they encounter atmosphere
> (and very little before). They do not deviate from their
> cosmic vector in any substantial way. ANY angle of
> incidence with the surface of the Earth is totally random
> and ANY angle of incidence is as equally likely as ANY
> other. Basic knowledge. Look it up. The "slow" 16 km/s
> 500-meter rock heads for the future 3.98 mile diameter
> crater site as straight as a bullet from a gun, pretty much.

1) I know that meteorites coming in at completely random angles. My
point was simply that you appeared to have chosen a particular angle
of entry for your calculations that in my mind seemed as though it
might not represent the maximum possible amount of devastation given
the size and composition of the impactor. My point was that the odds
of a given impactor entering the atmosphere at *that* angle were small
and that the likelihood of a body entering the atmosphere at a
different angle that might be more penetrating, at least with regards
to an ice impact, might be greater.

> If you average all the directions together, you get 45
> degrees, just because you have to pick some direction!
> That's what everybody does. I just got tired of typing in
> "45," so I typed in "30" -- it makes no difference. 30,
> 60, all the same. This is an event with only ONE parameter:
> Kinetic Energy.

Of course...

> You've obviously read too much about the little rocks
> that leave littler rocks behind for us to collect, with their
> long curving paths and their aerodynamic braking, their
> "falls" and all that meteorite frew-fah. Crater-makers are
> not like that at all. For all practical purposes, think "straight
> line" segment of a very large radius curve.

I understand the bloody frozen rope trajectory of these things but
what I'm saying is that regardless of whether or not they travel on a
straight line, atmospheric breaking will have an impact (small, maybe
only a few km/s difference in velocity, if that) on the objects
velocity and thus the amount of KE released.

> Jason wrote:
>
> > An airburst of a ridiculously large (lets say a 1 km
> > object, for the hell of it) size would devastate, what,
> > maybe a thousand square miles? Few thousand?
> > Not enough to do any real damage...
>
> Tunguska was an object of perhaps 100 meters; its
> zone of greatest destruction, the tree-flattening-and-
> charring zone, was 2200 square kilometers, or 850
> square miles. The lethal-to-humans zone (LD 50) was
> about ten times bigger than that. The flash was as bright
> as the Sun 80 miles away. It was observed 600 miles
> away. The barometric shock wave traveled around the
> planet 2.5 times before dying out. (Stop beating the
> horse...)

But I just don't see how or why a 1km body is going to vaporize in
such an explosion in the atmosphere. Don't get me wrong - it sounds
like it would be an awesome event were it to happen, but I just don't
see it physically occurring.

> And you think that an object one thousand times
> bigger (10^3) would be "not enough to do any real
> damage"? My only suggestion: think again.

If such an explosion were to take place, I don't doubt it. I doubt
the explosion in the first place...

> As for the general cause of all this argument, some
> possible impact events in "recent" times proposed
> by Firestone and an increasing number of collaborators,
> that can only be determined by decades of field work
> yet to be done and, hey! we can't do it. All we are doing
> is sitting around like a bunch of ancient Greeks arguing
> from "basic principles." This inductive approach (the
> Greeks' greatest logical flaw) is essentially of very limited
> utility.

We can't do it?
Eh, I hear the Greeks made some progress with all their sitting around
and doing nothing...they may not have had quite the right idea about
the atom, but they did manage quite a bit in such a manner.

> What we can do is follow the hunt and wait for the
> results, science spectators that we are, and enjoy the
> arguments in the meantime. Then, even if the evidence
> favors impact, we'll have unending decades of argument
> about whether it could have "exterminated" anything. I
> expect the present Dino and Permian disputes to extend
> well beyond all our lifetimes.

Hmmm, so this is all probably pointless anyways...

> What I do know is that, twenty miles north of my house,
> there was once a wall of ice that towered into the sky above
> low clouds and bird flight, and it ain't there any more. And
> I haven't seen a mammoth in ages, even tho Thomas Jefferson
> asked Lewis and Clark to keep an eye out for'em.

Right...for whatever reason.

> Jason wrote:
>
> > Floods would leave geologic evidence, no?
>
> I live on the 200-foot-high edge of a canyon 20 to 30 miles
> wide that was carved out in a geological wink of the eye (few
> hundred years) by the melting of a mile-thick glacier, and I
> think, as I watch an ice cube drip, that was awfully quick.
> The mechanism proposed is a long slow melt as conditions
> warmed, the formation of vast glacial lakes, the rupture
> of ice dams and gravel-and-rubble dams, followed by very
> and rapid drainage. The evidence is the Mississippi River
> Canyon with its wave-formed canyon walls that undulate in
> 500-foot-long periods. Hey, there's still a little water left in
> the bottom of the Canyon -- the Mississippi River. It's just
> a trickle now...

Such an impact would probably shatter surrounding ice for hundreds of
miles, were it to occur, and, I would bet, cause massive flooding as
several km^3 of ice turned into boiling water and steam (much of which
would condense on contact with colder air, forming a relatively warm
rain on surrounding glaciers). I don't see how large flash-floods
would be avoidable in such a scenario...say what you will about the
Mississippi river, but I view your analogy as rather unrelated.

> The Mississippi River is a spanking brand-new river;
> there was never any river here before the end of the last
> glaciation, nor any of the rivers between the Rockies and
> the Appalachians; North America always drained sluggishly
> north to Hudson Bay before the glaciations. As for impacts,
> even huge ones, melting the glaciers? Forget it. You know
> how much energy it takes to melt a cubic mile of ice? The
> equivalent of 330 MegaTons of TNT, which is the thermal
> portion of a GigaTon impact, to remove one cubic mile
> from the thousands and thousands of cubic miles of ice
> that made up the ice cap.
> What does a GigaTon impact take? A 300 meter rock,
> more or less, leaving a 3-mile crater on the ice cap, less
> than a quarter-mile deep. A pinprick to a glacier, a scratch,
> a mosquito bite, a jumbled melt zone that quickly re-freezes
> and doesn't leave a trace. But it might have considerable
> atmospheric effect and deposit traces for thousands of
> miles in every direction.

You spoke of a 10km impactor a while back...it really depends on the
dynamics of each individual impact, but I would suppose that it might
be possible for one not to leave a trace were it to occur far enough
North.
That said, I still favour saying "I don't know," seeing as you're
simply putting forth the solitary scenario that would provide us with
no solid evidence as opposed to looking for any traces of any other
sort of event that might exist...

> No meaningful damage to the physical planet is not
> the same as no meaningful damage to the creatures that
> live on it. Your hypothetical one kilometer impactor is
> a 50 GigaTon impact with an 8 to 10 mile crater about
> a half-mile deep; it leaves a big lake for a while, but its
> atmospheric effects spread around the entire globe and
> might have serious effects on climate. But neither of these
> will leave any trace "on the ground" other than the distant
> deposits of the type talked about. A physically trivial
> event but perhaps not biologically trivial.

Hmmm, possible, and an intriguing thought, but one that I think should
be thoroughly researched/explored, and other evidence looked into
before a conclusion is reached...
As I said before, the airburst model seems highly unlikely to me, but
the ice-impact one...I view the odds of it having occurred as small,
but the dynamics of it at least appear to be logical.

Regards,
Jason