[meteorite-list] Sweet-and-sour Pepper Mammoth experiment

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 18:37:18 -0800

Tracy, All,

Tracy, you said:
"There are a couple scenarios where a good-size impactor could strike
and leave no crater, but create havoc. One is if it made a water
strike close to a coastline, and another is if it struck an ice sheet,
like a glacier, which subsequently melted. Are there any tsunami
deposits of the appropriate age on either coast? I'm not sure if a
strike on a glacier would scar the land underneath, especially if the
glacier ground and washed away the evidence."

This would be true for a small impact, but we're talking about the
devastation of a continent, not a localized area. An ice sheet would
do little to buffer the underlying ground from an impact of the
necessary magnitude, and the same goes for a coastal impact. Note the
Chesapeake and Yucatan impacts for such examples, as well as the
impact that created the Everglades. I don't know of any craters that
are confirmed to have been formed through the penetration of an
ice-sheet, as I don't think that current methods of dating are that
precise, but maybe I'm wrong...

Regards,
Jason