[meteorite-list] Re Firstone: Anything but impact, eh?

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:10:57 -0800

Hola E.P., All,

>Perhaps data from Barringer could throw more light on
the reentry of iron spherules from an iron ground
impact. I seem to remember frei-punkt, a maximum speed
for air entry.

Reentry of iron sperules? Maximum speed? With Canyon Diablo, they
condensed out of a cloud of vapour above the site of impact, no other
way. Spherules weren't moving quickly or anything like that - they
condensed, and fell primarily downwind of the crater, at, I would
assume, relatively low velocity and temperature - not quickly enough
or hot enough to penetrate bone, I'm sure.
Regards,
Jason.