[meteorite-list] yet another thought

From: AL Mitterling <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 18:37:33 -0500

Hi Peter and all,

Technically here. A meteorite can't pass through the flare because the
Earth's atmosphere will protect it. I'd bet there would be more than a
few meteoroids floating in space that will pass through this energy.

In regards to magnetism. I've read somewhere that studies on meteorites
have been conducted to determine the parent bodies magnetic field
(orientation?). The field is very weak in individual meteorites and why
having someone put a magnet on a specimen will alter such a field. I am
sure such tests would have to be conducted on fresh falls recovered by a
researcher or from possible antarctic finds if the Earth's field doesn't
effect it after being on the ground for thousands of years. I wouldn't
be surprised if there are multiple fields depending on exposure
conditions in space and while the material was part of the original
parent body.

Interesting topic worthy of study. Perhaps some specimens might be typed
by magnetic fields in the future.

--AL Mitterling