[meteorite-list] Magnetic Meteorites?

From: Peter A Shugar <pshugar_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 22:24:46 -0600

I am new to the list. I've been reading the list for about a month now.
I just wanted to weigh in on the "magnetic meteorite".
I am a retired Electronics Engineer, so this is somewhat in my field
of expertise.
>From what I know, when you say all meteorites are magnetic, what you mean
is the meteorites are attracted to a magnet. Under the right conditions any
meteorite containing Iron can be made magnetic by stroking the meteorite
repeatedly in the same direction, or alternately, putting the meteorite in
the center
of a large coil of wire and passing a DC voltage thru the coil.
I have just begun to collect meteorites <Texas meteorites in the range of 1
to 3 grams>.
I bow to those with more knowledge about meteorite for the rest of the
comments.
I hope this helps.
de Pete