[meteorite-list] The so-called "impactite bed"

From: drtanuki <drtanuki_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 07:58:27 -0700 (PDT)

Paul and List,

I DID NOT WRITE THIS BELOW and I DO NOT AGREE WITH HIS
INTRPETAIONS! It was written by EPG:

> ?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1GCgOI3B1o
Thee black impactite layer is pretty amazing ?EI
never expected it to be that dense or clearly
obvious to the naked eye - my guess is that it
extends throughout other sandstone formation in the
region

Dirk Ross:
MY reponse is that these are quite common features in
the Plains and Southwest and represent bogs or
seasonal ponds that animals used for watering and
bathing. There is nothing related to impact connected
with these layers; unless they magicians can suddenly
pull out what they are claiming that they have found.
I have seen no evidence of micro-diamonds, fullerenes,
glass shards or spherules of iron glass.

An certainly Ed is no expert as he identified the
overlying layer as a sandstone.

I am still waiting on the Y-D group to produce the
facts to back their claims! I suspect they have none
or that they are misinterpretating the facts.

  The mega-fauna did NOT just suddenly "die-out"! We
found remains at several Cody Complex sites of Mega
Fauna in NE Colorado and elsewhere several thousand
years after the "great dying".

Best Regards, Dirk...Tokyo

http://www.nsf.gov/discoveries/disc_summ.jsp?cntn_id=109768&org=NSF&from=news