[meteorite-list] The impactite bed

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 07:53:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Dirk -

I suppose we'll all just have to wait and see - but
according to the initial release, something like 125
scientists were involved in this study. It looks too
large for a fraud or mistake, but we'll see.

Becker and Poreda did the Permian event buckeyball
analysis several years back.

As you may or may not know, Shoemaker's old colleague
Morrison vigorously denies that comets hit - only 5%
of impacts in his view. Morrison has been fighting
off Clube and Napier's comet injection model, and
there have been some low blows in the fight - I can
tell you that from personal experience.

My hope is that someday, some historian of science
will go back in the NASA archives and dig the whole
sordid story out. Of course, the real dirt will
probably be in personal e-mails, not the NASA e-mails
which are archived.

E.P.

http://www.nsf.gov/discoveries/disc_summ.jsp?cntn_id=109768&org=NSF&from=news