[meteorite-list] harder

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 10:42:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Thaddeus -

>Individual skeletons, not entire collective burial of
> members of particular genetically tall groups, were
> interred in the fashion described by Dragoo.

Yes, but you've omitted to tell the list that Dragoo
and separately Neuman were so shocked by the height of
those "individual" skeletons they excavated that
Dragoo spent about half of his book "Mounds for the
Dead" trying to account for them.

Amazingly a small pocket of the "Adena" survived until
European contact - their proper name in English is
"Andaste"; I won't attempt the Iroquois, Ojibwe,
HoChunk, or Shawnee here - and their entire population
were "giant", not just a few individuals.

The Andaste are thoroughly documented in my book "Man
and Impact in the Americas", and I think you might
enjoy reading the eyewitness accounts of these "Adena"
people, detailed to the point of describing how they
urinated (being a giant presented some problems,
apparently) along with the full citations for further
reading, if you wish.

>An impact did not wipe out the Clovis people, but the
>fluted point style specialized for the killing and
>butchering of megafauna became extinct as a result of
>rapid reversion to glacial conditions and subsequent
>irreversible extinction of most megafauna.

Hmmm. Have you considered that the climate change
which led to starvation of the mega-faunal may also
have led to starvation of many of those people? That
does not include those killed by the direct blast
effects of impacts.

Despite these reservations, it's pleasant to find
someone broadly in agreement with me. In my view, many
people did survive the initial impacts - you can see
my comments on the Brook Run (Remington quarry) site
back in 2002 and my estimate then of what would need
to be done to demonstrate the holocene start impacts:

http://abob.libs.uga.edu/bobk/ccc/ce010702.html

in particular the section entitled:

A DISCONTINUOUS DEVELOPMENT?

which describes exactly the work that the Holocene
Impact Working Group recently presented.

Use of Remington Quarry continued through 10,900 BCE
to about 8,350 BCE, if memory serves me right. I
could look up the dead on adjusted radio carbon dates
in my book, but since you don't own a copy of it,
there doesn't seem to be much point.

> Until radiocarbon and stratigraphic analysis can
define the duration and breadth of events directly
preceding the rapid climatic change of the Younger
Dryas,

There are also new cores coming from the USGS,
particularly cores from the coastal Carolinas region,
  and I'm really looking forward to the sections in
them on the intrusive marine sediments, and their
timing.

> impacts will hold no assumed correlation to climatic
change in that period.

I'm fairly certain that the archaeologists, geologists
and paleo-climatologists actually researching this are
well ahead of you here, Thaddeus.

The new impactite layer has been demonstrated - there
is nothing "assumed" about it. What is being done now
is trying to figure out the exact timing and effects
of the holocene start impacts. My guess right now is
that they fundamentally altered the North Pacific
Currents, but we'll see.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas
List members can contact me off list and
I'll be happy to try and work something out with you.