[meteorite-list] RCYBP

From: Thaddeus Besedin <endophasy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 00:55:49 -0700 (PDT)

Jesus Christ, list. This is the last time.
--- Thaddeus Besedin <endophasy at yahoo.com> wrote:

> List,
> I was abrupt by sending an unsolicited monologic
> argument toward perpetual public access while I was
between classes.
> This is corrected for typographical (and other)
> errors.
>

> Well-dated fluted point sites (Clovis) seem to,
> according to recent work in Clovis site chronology
> bracketing (Waters and Stafford 1997
> http://dmc-news.tamu.edu/templates/?a=4202&z=0 )
> date
> from a ~200-400 year period terminating abruptly at
> the end of the last interstadial period preceding
the Younger
> Dryas Stadial (~12,900 - 11,500 calBP), or the
Bolling-Allerod interstadial, preceded by the Older
Dryas stadial extending, from pollen/spore records,
14,600 - 13,700 calBP in Hokkaido (~14,000 calBP -
13,500 calBP in Canada). The popular press does not
usually catch

(http://www.blm.gov/heritage/adventures/research/StatePages/PDFs/lo_res_%20kunz%2014ap03.sep.pdf)

(http://www.archaeology.org/9611/newsbriefs/uptar.html),
> [...]
> technology
> to any Western European technological tradition,
> such
> as the
> Solutrean tradition. Clovis is late, brief, and
> often
> invisible, since projectile point forms can hardly
> define a "culture." Clovis fluted Projectile forms
> disappeared concomitantly with the extinction of
> megafauna at the onset of the Younger Dryas stadial.
> At this time, until more evidence of rapid
> extinction
> characteristic of cataclysmic events becomes
> available, any answer to the question of whether a
> bolide was significant enough to be responsible for
> either cultural or biological extinction is at best
> based on a post hoc fallacy.
> -Thaddeus
>
> --- Thaddeus Besedin <endophasy at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Well-dated fluted point sites (Clovis) seem to,
> > according to recent work in clovis site chronology
> > bracketing (Waters and Stafford 1997
> > http://dmc-news.tamu.edu/templates/?a=4202&z=0 )
> > date
> > from an ~200-400 year period terminting abruptly
> by
> > the end of the last interglacial period, the
> Younger
> > Dryas Stadial, which is dated to ~12,900 - 11,500
> > years ago. Popular press does not usually catch
> > their
> > naive confuaion of radiocarbon and calibrated
> years.
> > Archaeologists seem to make the same mistake.
> There
> > are no true, well-dated Clovis sites (with full
> > classis Clovis prismatic blade toolkit) dating
> from
> > after ~12,900 cal BP, but Fluted point technology
> > persists. Clovis points were probably curated by
> > later
> > people, since their size made them visible to late
> > Pleistocene people, which then allowed the
> continued
> > use of functional bifaces (ofetn of great size).
> > Fluted point sites proliferate in the east because
> > of
> > environmental factors, not necessarily because a
> > greater frequency of sites occurs. Sedimentary
> > preservation of sites is more common in places of
> > lower relief, like Florida. The record is skewed.
> >
> > Recently, Radiocarbon dates at the
> non-fluted-point,
> > non-microlithic Mesa site in Alska

(http://www.blm.gov/heritage/adventures/research/StatePages/PDFs/lo_res_%20kunz%2014ap03.sep.pdf)
> > have returned dates both earlier and
> > contemporaneous
> > with Clovis (e.g. Beta-55236 (intact hearth):
> 11,660
> > +/- 80 14C YBP
> > returns the calibrated date of 13,431 +/- 141, or
> > 2-sigma 13290 - 13572, and GX-26461: 12,240 +/-
> 610
> > 14C YBP calibrates to 14718 +/- 1084
> > for a 2-sigma calibrated range of 13634 - 15802 BP

=== message truncated ===