[meteorite-list] RCYBP

From: Thaddeus Besedin <endophasy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 00:27:59 -0700 (PDT)

List,
I was abrupt in sending an unsolicited monologic
argument to perpetual public access between classes.
this is corrected for typographical (and other)
errors.

Well-dated fluted point sites (Clovis) seem to,
according to recent work in Clovis site chronology
bracketing (Waters and Stafford 1997
http://dmc-news.tamu.edu/templates/?a=4202&z=0 ) date
from a ~200-400 year period terminating abruptly by
the end of the last interglacial period, the Younger
Dryas Stadial, which is dated to ~12,900 - 11,500
years ago. Popular press does not usually catch their
naive conflation of radiocarbon and calibrated years,
even when
Scientists are explicit about the distinction.
Archaeologists seem to make the same mistake on
occasion,
but often RCYBP is not indicated in source documents
that
may contain quoted/excerpted material. There
are no true, well-dated Clovis sites (with full
classic Clovis prismatic blade toolkit) dating from
after ~12,700 cal BP, but Fluted point technology
persists. Clovis points were probably curated by later
people, since their size made them visible to late
Pleistocene people, which then allowed them continued
utility as functional biface knives.
Fluted point sites are numerous in the Eastern United
States because of
environmental factors, not necessarily because of
a greater frequency of occupied sites, although
resource
abundance may have also permitted
population growth, or Clovis technology was more
frequently adopted by an original founding human
populations
in the East. Sedimentary
preservation of sites is more common on depositional
surfaces that have relatively
little relief. In Alaska, Younger Dryas Erosional
unconformity would be expected,
since this was a period of general valley floor
incision, followed by
rapid sedimentation beginning ~ 11,600 - 11,500 calBP,
or at the initial Preboreal Holocene. Thus, the
differential preservation
 between expansive depositional Eastern landscapes and
proportionally less common
occupiable flat space in Western Valleys, subject to
greater
 surface material loss due to greater mean slope angle
(gravitational effect on unconsolidated sediments)and
fire frequency (i.e. ground cover destruction) with
erosive flooding. Valley downcutting has obliterated
Bolling interstadial period
 depositional surfaces on broad floodplains. The
record is skewed.

Recently, Radiocarbon dates at the non-fluted-point,
non-microlithic Mesa site in Alaska
(http://www.blm.gov/heritage/adventures/research/StatePages/PDFs/lo_res_%20kunz%2014ap03.sep.pdf)
have returned dates both earlier and contemporaneous
with Clovis (e.g. Beta-55236 [intact hearth]: 11,660
+/- 80 14C YBP
returns the calibrated date of 13,431 +/- 141, or
[68% range 13?C290 - 13572], and GX-26461: 12,240 +/-
610
14C YBP calibrates to 14718 +/- 1084
for [68% calibrated range of 13634 - 15802 BP]
[CalPal2004_SFCP
QuickCal Ver. 1.3.1])

Evidence of fluting has only been identified in the
Old World at the Uptar site in NE Siberia
(http://www.archaeology.org/9611/newsbriefs/uptar.html),
which may represent a late migration of North American
toolmakers into Siberia, but may be also be evidence
of in situ convergent
development. The Uptar point has a contracting
stem-like base, and thus possibly shares a hafting
configuration with
Windust/Lake Mojave style late Pleistocene-early
Holocene forms, although Ushki (Eastern siberia)
points from Layer 7 (Ushki 1 initial occupational 14C
date constraint: 11,820 ?} 100 BP,
 13736 ?} 159 calBP [68% calBP range: 13,577 - 13,895]
CalPal_2007_HULU) include side-notched,
expanding base forms which are found in post-Windust
(after 9,000 BP)
assemblages in the Northwestern United states. A late
influx of North American people
into Siberia may have curated representative
technologies of
both stemmed and fluted traditions, contemporaneous in
North America, where terminal Pleistocene stemmed
point technology survived into the Holocene.
Basal thinning modification of hafted objects is
common in East Asia and the Old World at large during
the Upper Paleolithic, appearing in Mousterian
Levallois assemblages as well as later blade/core
industries (e.g. Gravettian, etc.). The preference by
fluted point
makers for a geographically widespread and ordinary
bifacial thinning style that produces outrepasse flake
terminations to define
biface edges opposing the striking platforms of
removed surface material does not link Clovis
technology
to any Western European technological tradition, such
as the
Solutrean tradition. Clovis is late, brief, and often
invisible, since projectile point forms can hardly
define a "culture." Clovis fluted Projectile forms
disappeared concomitantly with the extinction of
megafauna at the onset of the Younger Dryas stadial.
At this time, until more evidence of rapid extinction
characteristic of cataclysmic events becomes
available, any answer to the question of whether a
bolide was significant enough to be responsible for
either cultural or biological extinction is at best
based on a post hoc fallacy.
-Thaddeus

http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/meteorite-list/2007-June/035570.html

http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/meteorite-list/2007-July/036230.html

http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/meteorite-list/2007-August/037069.html

http://www.udel.edu/PR/UDaily/2008/aug/lowery080807.html

> > Even these Clovis Points are 35,000 years too
> young
> > to support
> > Mr. Grondine's claims of PaleoIndian points being
> as
> > old as "45,000
> > BCE".
> >
> > Mr. Grondine continued,
> >
> > "Given this level of discussion, one has to wonder
>
> > why I carry on - oh yes, its because there was an
> > impact that killed large numbers of people, and
> > that and only that makes it worth the time and
> > aggravation."

=== message truncated ===