[meteorite-list] Family Claims Meteorite Fell In TheirCourtyard inIndia

From: Dr. Svend Buhl <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 21:22:18 +0200

There are in fact. India has a long and successful record of recovering
meteorites. The Museum of the Geological Survey of India in Calcutta hosts
one the world's top collections. Each generation of scientists from the
Geological Survey has contributed their part to the growing knowledge on
meteorites and not only on those from their subcontinent. The brief
bibliography attached to this paper may give you some idea:
http://www.turnstone.ca/indmet.htm

Nonsense reports on false meteorite claims and common misconceptions have
been and will always be repeated by the media, everywhere. My experience is
that the number of journalists who don't "know a thing about meteoritics"
outbalances the number of scientists who don't "know a thing about
meteoritics" by far. And I assume that this phenomenon is not limited to
India.

Best regards

Svend

www.niger-meteorite-recon.de