[meteorite-list] Mike Farmer's New Pallasite

From: Robert Woolard <meteoritefinder_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 08:51:40 -0700 (PDT)

  I finally had a chance to see some of the specimens
of Mike's new pallasite over the weekend. He truly has
some fantastic individuals, and the slices are just
beautiful! I've never seen a pallasite that had such a
"mix, or range," of different-sized olivine crystals.
Some are nearly 1 inch wide and 2 inches long, but
next to them might be another that is more like an
inch long "sliver", maybe only 1/16 of an inch wide.
It's not just the typical "rounded or pea-shaped"
crystals usually seen.

  I know a lot of you guys are particularly interested
in pallisites, and have a lot more experience with
them than me for sure. But like I said, I can't recall
ever seeing photos, etc. of any that have such a
variety of crystals shapes or sizes. Does anyone else
know of examples of pallasites that contain these
"slivers" of olivine?

  Thanks,
  Robert Woolard