[meteorite-list] Meteorite smugglers anger scientists

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 11:38:18 -0500

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 08:25:58 -0700, you wrote:

>Good Morning list-members,
>
>you may want to read this with you coffee this morning.
>This was send from Rob E. to another list.
>
>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6549197.stm

I was about to post that myself. Are these scientists STUPID? They know where
meteorites are for sale, cheap (because the nomads "don't know their true
value") so why don't they BUY them rather than whine? It'd be cheaper than
funding an expedition to search for them themselves. (I'm sure, of course, that
the scientists will turn away samples of rare meteorites donated to them by
those nasty collectors and smugglers, just on principle. Or maybe not.)