[meteorite-list] This is the funniest meteorite dealer I'veseen?

From: MexicoDoug <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:28:46 -0500

Dave wrote:

"For god's sake - can someone please stop these idiots? These people are
VERY dangerous to the Community and MUST be stopped. Ken? You in there yet?
This is fraud!"

Hi Dave H., Bob V., List,

After endulging by having a laugh at this unfortunate Chicago area soul's
expense, please read Ken Newton's 2005 communications with him and note that
the problem was CORRECTED then and it doesn't look like he has been
mauradering about like a rabid Gamera monster that MUST be stopped (by whom,
God or better yet Godzilla:-)?)

Perhaps the website is just a fossil, who cares. I got the idea Randy
didn't particularly hold anything against him except maybe a bit of pity,
and anyway I don't think a formal blacklist censureship is the way to go
(really, what's next, require all meteorite hunters to get a PhD?) nor worth
the time. Considering all the spam everyone gets we ought to just chill
and enjoy the jokes that come our way - or delete, why answer an unsolicited
email if you don't want to? The link was just posted on the list without
the guy's knowledge which is sort of lame, there is nothing for sale on it
that I saw, and all the references we have to him are one-two years ago when
he had his Mars meteorite fetish, not too long after great hope of Park
Forest. Looks like he went through a difficult time and had to sell off the
assets of his pizzaria since then. I'd cut him a break, as life can be
pretty lousy for those in financial hardship which while rare in our
community make op the bulk of the world. The promise of striking it rich
with space rocks is irresistible to some, including a few listmembers and
provides hope in what can otherwise be great cold and darkness.

For all you know, it could be an inside joke he has, or he may be a nutcase
in which case what is there to gain by putting him down more here, as our
opinions are unsolicited and not to his face, though if he were to start up
selling again, of course I'd eat my words. At the moment, though no need to
round up the posse, they have better things to gossip about instead of some
boulders in some guy's amateur rock collection.

Best wishes and Good Health,
Won't ever crucify someone for his beliefs whether scientific or religious
(but will have fun to call on them on them to explain their assumptions)
Doug