[meteorite-list] Possible topic - magnetic rake

From: Steve Dunklee <sdunklee72520_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 01:57:49 -0700 (PDT)

nearly every time any ground disturbance like a large meteorite fall will leave its mark in the soil long after visible signs from the ground have been eroded away. I don't know of any statistics but most times you will only find a man made disturbance like an old pond. I figure any method should give you a better chance of finding something than none at all. I also try to figure out the path of previous meteorites by reading as much as I can about the historical falls in old newspapers.
  As an example when the Paragould meteorite fell it exploded as a bolide over southern Missouri according to most papers yet in the Salem Arkansas news from the next day a doctor was riding his horse to visit a patient when it fell and reported fearing for his life because there were stones falling all about him with a whoosh.and a thud as the hit the ground.
      With the description I figure there should be a major strewn field from the Paragould meteorite yet I think I am the only person who has bothered to look. And an elderly woman from Viola Arkansas showed me a church bulletin where her grandfather had found a crater big enough to drive a wagon into which was verified by other church members and they dug for hours yet did not find anything. Hence why I think the Paragould meteorite was found near Viola Arkansas, snatched up and put on a wagon and moved to Paragould. so the finders could claim ownership. which explains why only two pieces were found.
       Some of the Paragould reports say it took ten men all day to dig it out which if you have ever done any serious digging it would only take two people with horses a few hours to dig out a rock that size but ,it would take ten men that long to dig a big enough hole to look like it fell there.
      I also drag magnets along the roads but you may want to check your local laws concerning ownership of anything you find. Here in Arkansas you can remove and keep anything from a county road that may be a possible hazard. like tree limbs and rocks. I have not bought firewood in ten years.and meteorites are really rocks.
  have a nice day everyone
  Steve

Looking for earth-friendly autos?