[meteorite-list] To the dreamers

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 03:54:49 -0700 (MST)

Hi Dave:

My biggest criticism of many of my colleagues when they teach or go into a
classroom: they tend to get excited by the high-powered science that they
are doing and this tends to get lost on the kids. In most cases (there are
a few strange ones) most of us "real scientists" got excited about
astronomy by going outside (freezing our butts off) and watching a lunar
eclipse, looking at the Moon, watching a meteor shower, or looking at the
constellation patterns. This is not high-powered science, but this is what
got us into it. It is probably the same for most meteorite scientists too:
first you look at the pretty rocks and then you finally learn to
appreciate them for their beauty and eventually their scientific value.
Scientists tend to forget what got them started (their rock collections).

Larry