[meteorite-list] Meteorite-wrong pics

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Sep 28 15:49:37 2006

Hi, Odd Ball Afficionados,

    To MexicoDoug I can only say, "By George,
I think he's got it!"

    Frankly, I was thinking of ammunition manufacture
in more modern terms, but the great peak of activity
at Joliet was of course in WWII, 65 years ago. That's
plenty of time for an iron ball in the wet soils of
Illinois to reach the condition of this one. And I
didn't know about the Old Iron Works (1860-1930),
another excellent candidate source. Maybe they
made --- mill balls! There was certainly a market
for them nearby.

    The Ball Mill is an old processor. I tried to
Google up the invention horizon for the Ball Mill,
and failed. It was always called "old." I found a
great XIXth century treatise on Ball Mills that talked
about them as "the oldest" processor. As near as
I can tell, it originated in Germany, maybe Silesia,
maybe XVIIth century, but it could be an older
device. Maybe Doug will find a reference to late
Roman ball mills... Molinum Orbis.

    From the Federal Register, 2006: "Army records
indicate that there are 10,933 WWII and Cold War Era
Army ammunition production facilities and plants,
including associated buildings, structures, and utilities...
in approximately 30 installations nationwide."

    World War Two was busy. By the time World
War II ended, American factories had produced
296,429 airplanes, 102,351 tanks and self-propelled
guns, 372,431 artillery pieces, 47,000,000 tons of
artillery ammunitions, 124,000 ships, including 87,620
warships of which 80,000 were landing craft, 806,073
2-1/2-ton trucks, 12,537,854 rifles and carbines, and
44,000,000,000 rounds of small-arms ammunition, as
well as 36,000,000,000 yards of cotton uniform cloth.
Between 1941 and 1945, this output constituted 44%
of the Gross National Product of the US.

    Maybe they lost a mill ball along the way...

Sterling K. Webb