[meteorite-list] Re: Encyclopedia of Meteorites : New features

From: MexicoDoug <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Sep 22 17:07:10 2006

Hello John,

It looks like whoever registered gets allocated collection data disk storage
space. If you signed in anonymously, it looks like the logic is "who's
collection space will you be entitled to modify - we need to identify which
collection is yours". It looks like the anonymous option he mentions is
anonymous to remain anonymous to other members, but not to your own
collection space.

It looks like there is no anonymous browsing of collection data if you don't
contribute your own data - or at least have space assigned to you which you
can. That would require a second type of passive use registration and
programming to support it.

It looks like when he invites "non-members" to register just to enjoy the
encyclopedia, he is really meaning, "if you aren't a member, I invite you to
become one." (Then you wouldn't be a non-member anymore...)

Maybe if you ask, "Will it be possible to browse the encyclopedia without
looking at individuals collections and without being a member?", you could
get some additional clarification.

I understand your question, probably because I am a non-member. That's my
take on it.
Doug