[meteorite-list] Re: Encyclopedia of Meteorites : New features

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Sep 22 16:55:28 2006

Hi All,
        I must be really dumb....
1) but it seams like to me if the primary "answer" to why
one would have to "register" to view a website is, "So you
can't change the information provided by other people who
register" then, THAT IS CIRCULAR "LOGIC."
        If no one had to "register" there would be no information
to change!
        While I reserve judgment as to whether or not
"registration" makes any sense at all (I suppose it could)
such a response does not in any way explain why.
2) the second "explanation" given is, "It's always necessary
when you program a website with a database behind. Security
is important."
        Again, I don't get it. I have viewed countless websites
with data bases that did not require registration..... I assume
my own web sites have a significant amount of "data base"
(unless the "meaning" of that term has some occult interpretation
in computer argot of which I am unfamiliar).
        Are you talking about people "copy/paste" ing data
from the site? The word "security" as used in this context
alludes me.
        I suspect others have a similar take, but, as I said,
perhaps I am just "dumb."
        I will tell you this - I refuse to even use "Yahoo" for
anything because they require "registration." But, again,
perhaps I am just "dumb."
        Sincerely, Michael

--
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than
standing in a garage makes you a car.
--
"Is our children learning?"
"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."