[meteorite-list] Unbelievably late package

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Sep 20 14:21:19 2006

--- M come Meteorite Meteorites
<mcomemeteorite2004_at_yahoo.it> wrote:

> another record? 1 week of delay for a little pack
> sent
> to Venice from my house, 20 minutes of bus...
>
> Matteo

I'm not so sure! The guy in the room next to me at
university came from Torino (Riccardo Ferraro, I swear
it really was his name). He told me it wasn't worth
writing home. The post was apparently so bad that he
said it was quicker to hitch-hike home via Moscow than
send a letter.
He said that it wasn't really a postal service, more
that someone would drop your letter off if they
happened to be going that way.
He was also an incredible wind-up-merchant so he could
have been exaggerating, lying or both.

I've been lucky with the post so far. I had a
meteorite which didn't want to come to me and made
it's way back to Michael Cottingham. He takes no
prisoners though and it found my remote little island
at the second attempt. And I recently had to wait
nearly 4 months for a book (Robert Haag's Collection
of meteorites) which had many, many post marks on it
and was not in pristine condition after it's trek. But
so far, nothing actually lost.

Rob McC