[meteorite-list] Interview with the IAU President on Pluto's Demotion

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Sep 11 21:16:11 2006

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/060911_cesarsky_qanda.html

Interview with the IAU President on Pluto's Demotion
By Sara Goudarzi
space.com

Last month, Catherine Cesarsky became the president of the International
Astronomical Union (IAU). Cesarsky, the first woman to hold this
prestigious position, started her presidency at a time when many
scientists are questioning IAU's recent decision to strip Pluto of
its planetary status based on a vote of just 424 members at a meeting in
Prague.

Cesarsky served as the director general of the European Southern
Observatory since 1999 and is famed for her research work in central
areas of modern astrophysics. She also led the design and construction
of the ISOCAM camera onboard the Infrared Space Observatory (ISO) of the
European Space Agency (ESA).

In an email interview with SPACE.com, Cesarsky discusses her thoughts on
the role of the IAU as a governing body and the split of the scientific
community on the new definition and the way the process was handled,
effectively
excluding 10,000 professional astronomers around the globe.

SPACE.com: How does the IAU expect to handle the Pluto flap? Many
people, including a lot of astronomers, are not happy with this decision.

Catherine Cesarsky: As you probably know, the scientific progress of
planetary astronomy over the past decade - especially the discovery of one
object larger than Pluto (2003 UB313) - made it necessary to define the
term "planet". The IAU had to make a decision on this topic to start the
naming process for 2003 UB313.

We knew in advance that no matter how this decision would come out, a
part of the astronomical community would be disagreeing. The intense
debate at the 2006 General Assembly was very healthy and exactly
intended to make as large a fraction of the community as possible, agree
with the decision. In this we succeeded.

It also has to be said that the - now very visible - "splitting" of the
community in the issue of where to make the delineation between planets
and other solar system objects is not new. It is a debate that has
existed for several years.

SPACE.com: Has the intense debate strengthened or weakened the authority
of the IAU? What does the group need to do to keep its position as a
governing body?

CC: It is too early to tell. The IAU has a rigorous set of Statutes,
Bylaws and Working Rules. These have been followed carefully in this
process of developing the planet definition Resolution and in the voting
process.

A controversial subject such as this merits debate as we had during
throughout the General Assembly. The astronomers present could ponder on
the arguments expressed and prepare for voting. Our Statutes state that
Resolutions can only be passed by a majority of those IAU members
present and voting. Resolution 5A was passed with a wide majority. There
is therefore, from our perspective, little reason to question the
authority of the IAU.

SPACE.com: How, if, or when will the IAU try to define extrasolar
planets, stars, and planemos? Will there be a new definition for them as
well?

CC: The IAU indeed intends to work on these interesting questions over
the next three years. For instance the delineation between brown dwarfs
and planets remains to be defined. This issue was already discussed at
the first meeting of the new EC together with the new Division
Presidents on the last day of the General Assembly.

SPACE.com: Should there be some outreach dedicated to educating the
public on such decisions and what they mean?

CC: The IAU has recently reinforced its public communication. A
Resolution was for instance passed on this topic during the General
Assembly.

An excerpt says: "Sharing what we learn about the universe is an
investment in our fellow citizens, our institutions, and our future.
Individuals and organizations that conduct astronomical
research - especially those receiving public funding for this
research - have a responsibility to communicate their results and efforts
with the public for the benefit of all."

One example of IAU's implementation of these words could be seen in the
completely open information flow that took place during the 2006 General
Assembly. Another example is that the Executive Committee decided during
the GA to announce that the IAU is willing to coordinate and play a
leading role in the 2009 International Year of Astronomy as a catalyst
and a global coordinator.