[meteorite-list] Re: New Rare EL 3 Paleo Meteorite NWA 2828

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Sep 9 16:17:51 2006

Hi Sonny and List,

Like Sonny said, it was hard to tell this was a meteorite in the field,
literally or in a dark room in Morocco. When I first encountered it in
Morocco, I wasn't sure it was a meteorite but took a gamble on some stones.
Meteorite or not, I wouldn't get my money back if it was terrestrial. This
is part of the process of acquiring rare and incredible meteorites. I have a
whole garden full of terrestrial stones I bought as gamble stones in Morocco
that I have a small fortune invested in. On the other hand, if I did not
take gambles on "odd" stones, than I would not be lucky enough to retrieve
several planetary stones, ultra-rare achondrites such as angrites,
brachinites, ungrouped meteorites and of course this odd EL3, NWA 2828, to
name a few.

It is a lot of fun but frustrating at the same time. Some times the rare
meteorites will fool you and sometimes the Moroccans themselves will. Only
experience will show you the difference!

Happy hunting, hope to see all who are attending the Denver Show.

Best regards,
Greg

Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection