[meteorite-list] Mystery Explosions in Colorado Concern Residents

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Oct 30 00:51:42 2006

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/10185373/detail.html

Mystery Explosions Concern Residents
The Denver Channel
October 29, 2006

COMMERCE CITY, Colo. -- Some Commerce City residents said they
experienced what felt like an earthquake or an explosion over the weekend.

Several neighbors from a Commerce City neighborhood in the 14000 block
of East 101st Avenue near the Reunion subdivision reported feeling the
explosions, while others said they didn't feel anything.

One neighbor said he was awakened by the rumble.

"It was a violent rumble that rattled things enough to shake things from
shelves," said Daniel Ruskauff.

The neighborhood is not far from Denver International Airport, but
neighbors said they know all about the flight patterns and this was
different.

"It almost felt like an earthquake, like the house was going to come
down," said Ruskauff.

Ruskauff said the vibrations lasted several seconds and he and his wife
immediately began inspecting their home.

"My wife thought someone may have rammed their car into our house or
something," said Ruskauff.

They found nothing and then called the Adams County sheriff. However,
the source of the shaking is still a mystery.

"I know I'm not crazy because I've talked to neighbors and they heard
and felt the same thing," said Ruskauff.

"I just heard a sonic boom," said Lee Compton. "I hadn't heard that for
years and years."

Compton said he was also awakened by the rumble while a handful of other
neighbors said they must have slept right through.

"We checked with nearby Buckley Air Force Base since aircraft have
broken the sound barrier in the past," said Compton.

A spokesperson said there is no confirmation of that happening.

"Their first reaction was to run straight outside," said Ruskauff.

Ruskauff said his dogs were upset. He said his concern has turned into
curiosity.

"It was frightening that's for sure," he said.

7NEWS also contacted the National Earthquake Information Center in
Golden, Colo. They said there was a small earthquake recorded in Utah
overnight but not strong enough to be felt in Colorado.

7NEWS confirmed that police did check out the area and found nothing.