[meteorite-list] Mystery Explosion Damages Homes in England

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Oct 26 12:16:20 2006

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/6088008.stm

Mystery 'explosion' damages homes
BBC News
October 26, 2006

Reports of a loud explosion on the north Cornwall and Devon border are
being investigated.

A number of residents reported hearing a loud bang between 1130 and 1200
BST around the Bude and Holsworthy area. Others said their homes were
damaged.

Western Power and the British Geological Survey have carried out checks
in the area.

Pc Baxter Proven of Devon and Cornwall Police said an investigation was
under way into the cause.

He said: "One theory being considering is perhaps a military aircraft
has broken the sound barrier a little too close to the land and that has
caused this sonic boom and this, in turn, caused some light damage
around the north Cornwall area."

'Physically shook'

One resident in Bude said a crack in her kitchen had widened as a
result, and others reported experiencing their properties "shaking".

A BBC Radio Cornwall listener said: "The stables physically shook. It
sounded like Concorde used to sound when it broke the sonic barrier. But
much louder. It went 'boom, boom'."

Western Power Distribution said engineers had completed checks and found
no faults with its systems.

The Ministry of Defence and the RAF said there were no records of their
aircraft flying over the area.

The Civil Aviation Authority said it was also unaware of the cause.

David Galloway from the British Geological Survey said the organisation
checked its readings for the area after receiving several phone calls
about the bang.

He said: "We've not got any signals at all from any instruments, and in
fact we have instruments nearby at Hartland Point."

He added it was possible that it might have been a sonic boom, but
although the equipment was geared towards detecting ground movement, it
would sometimes pick up such disturbances as well.

He said: "Typically we'd register any ground movement but we have been
known to have signals of a sonic nature to register."