[meteorite-list] Chondrule formation mechanism (Info Please)

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Oct 24 04:20:30 2006

The date measured is almost certainly the formation
date. My undertanding is that there are gaseous
isotopes of daughter products which are used for
ageing. When the rock/chondrule melts, it allows the
gases to escape and this has the effect of resetting
the clock. This is how we know that the rocks from the
LPBE are 3.9bn ya. Chondrules, by the same method
demonstrate an age in excess of 4.5bn ya.

The likelyhood of many atoms of similar type being in
the same region of space is likely high. I've never
studied the theories of what happens in a supernova
but the energies which synthesise all the elements
greater than 32(iron) would, I believe create large
numbers of these elements in the same region which
then gets dispersed into interstellar space, from
which proto stars and planetessimals coalesce (bad
spelling). It's fascinating stuff and I'm sure nobody
understands it properly.

Rob McC

http://www.bookcloseouts.com/default.asp?R=0521641306B

=== message truncated ===