[meteorite-list] Chondrule formation mechanism (Info Please)

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Oct 24 00:17:07 2006

Hi Sterling,

I did not post my reply to you to the list, so they
won't know what the extracts you cited came from - if
you have a copy of that message please post it -

The problem still remains what caused sufficient
number of atoms of the same type to be in the same
place at the same time to produce the crystals and
glasses observed.

If you have the gravity of a source proto-planet
differentiating the components in an immiscible melt,
then that problem is solved. I can't see any
differentiating mechanism for an "instellar" melt,
regardless of energy source.

No doubt the dating techniques are accurate. And no
doubt the elements were frozen in time in the
chondrule glasses and crystals. But is what is being
dated, the elements' formation date, or the
chondrule's formation date?

good hunting,
Ed

--- "Sterling K. Webb" <sterling_k_webb_at_sbcglobal.net>

http://www.bookcloseouts.com/default.asp?R=0521641306B