[meteorite-list] Chondrule formation mechanism

From: tracy latimer <daistiho_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Oct 22 15:27:36 2006

Right here on Earth, we have good demonstrations of effervescence in rocks.
Every time we get fire fountaining from one of our volcanoes, it is caused
by a large amount of gas dissolved under pressure at depth in the magma.
When the pressurized magma (now lava) reaches sufficiently shallow depths,
or something removes enough of the overburden that pressure abruptly is
relieved, the molten rock bubbles its way up like the infamous Mentos-Diet
Coke experiment.

On one of the sensational (in the sense of Wow! lookit this!) science
programs on the Discovery Channel, they graphically demonstrated a mechanism
that might drive a supervolcano, with a solution of resin in acetone under
heat and pressure. When the pressure was released, whoosh!

Tracy Latimer