[meteorite-list] Mega-Chondrule

From: Norbert Classen <trifid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Oct 22 11:58:06 2006

Marcin wrote:

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110044409830
> This piece make me realy crazy. I have cut some ordinary meteorite
> fragments. I could expect anything special in this low quality
> material except rust, missing iron and dark matrix. But then a big
> surprize. One of my most lucky cuts I have ever made. I have cut
> this specimen just perfect into center of a large chondrule.
> Im not 100% sure , but this one looks like extra large 10x8 mm
> chondrule.

I'm pretty sure that it is a huge chondrule or mega-chondrule. These are not
common, but you can find them from time to time, especially in L6 material.
Have a look at my website, and at the picture on the lower right on the
following page (click the photo to load up a larger image):

http://www.meteoris.de/basics/class2.html

This is a nice 10x8mm mega-chondrule in L6 chondrite HaH 173, and it has
virtually the same size as the "object" in your sample.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I still have the sister slice of this one for
trade or sale (with only 7x5mm for the mega-chondrule, though, but with a
neat 5x3mm troilite blob, too). Pictures and specifications on request.

Best,
Norbert