[meteorite-list] A request for help with comets, and a Hammer

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Oct 22 11:33:16 2006

From: "Robert Juhl" < AD552_at_mac.com>
To: "E.P. Grondine" < epgrondine_at_hotmail.com>
Subject: AD593-594 comet
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:19:20 +0800

Hello E.P.:

As a member of CCNet, I have followed your occasional
postings.

Recently, I discovered documentary evidence in
medieval East Asian texts for the apparition of a
comet in late 593 and early 594. This comet is
distinct from the comet that appeared in January 595.

I am also able to show an apparent periodicity, as
this comet appeared 5-6 times at regular intervals in
the sixth and seventh centuries.

I am preparing to submit an article on my findings to
an astronomy journal. One segment of the article will
cite documentary evidence from western sources
suggesting the apparition of a comet in late 593
and early 594. This is intended to back up my evidence
from Asian sources.

In researching western documents, I found that you had
already covered much of the ground in a posting to
CCNet in your 2002 CCNet ESSAY:
IMPACT AND THE END OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE IN THE WEST
( http://abob.libs.uga.edu/bobk/ccc/ce082202.html ).

 I would like to invite you to dust off your notes,
undertake some deeper research, and contribute a
segment on documentary evidence from western sources
in my article. In that case, you will be listed as a
 co-author.

 Please let me know what you think. By the way, I have
a website at

http://www2.gol.com/users/bartraj/goddessindex-1.html.
I hope you find it interesting.

 Best wishes,
 Robert Juhl in Penang ( AD552_at_mac.com)

wrote:

>>Hi Bob -
>>
>>I'd love to work on this with you but -
>>
>>1) I had a stroke in April 2005, and am really
pretty beat right now, especially for precise,
demanding work

>>2) I have been working with Native American
materials
>>for the last several years now: see my book -
>>
>>Man and Impact in the Americas
>>
>>over at amazon.com
>>
>>What energy I do have I am putting into the 15th
>>century impact mega-tsunami in the Pacific. If you
>>know of any relevant Chinese or Japanese records
>>between say 1421-1480 please let me know - perhaps
we
>>could go to some type of partner arrangement, but
>>given the danger presented by the impact hazard I
>>feel the only responsible thing to do is to share
>>information via the CC as quickly as possible - I
plan
>>to head to the Bishop Museum Library around mid-Feb
>>next year.
>>
>>According to his CC note for his new book,
>>Bailey has recoverd an impact record
>>for 1385 CE, so watch out...
>>
>>I took a brief look at your research, and it is
>>impressive - Given the stroke damage, I will need to
>>spend more time on it. But I need to warn you, that
>>at least for western and midieval records, using any
>>"accepted" dating is always risky. With these
>>records, you're nearly always better off looking for
>>physical activity synchronisms (such as comet
>>appearances) across cultures, then closely
re-examing
>>the "accepted" dates.
>>
>>all the best -
>>Ed

>From: "Robert Juhl" < AD552_at_mac.com>
>To: "E.P. Grondine" < epgrondine_at_hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: AD593-594 comet
>Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 08:02:31 +0800
>
>Hello Ed:
>
>Sorry to hear about your stroke. Actually, I was
looking forward to some sort of relationship; some
data I have on meteors 565-617 listed in the History
of the Sui Dynasty may also be of interest.

>Since you are interested in impacts that killed
people, the entry for 9 December 615 states: "A
meteor, big as a 5-peck measure, fell in the
encampment of Lu Mingyue (an insurgent of the time),
destroying his assault chariot and crushing more than
a dozen persons to death."

>This is one of a minor peak in sightings of large
meteors 615-617 (when the dynasty ended). The peak
probably continued for a few more years, but I
>haven't yet looked into the list of sightings in the
following dynasty.

>-------------------
>
>Getting back to my inquiry, could you suggest any
colleague who would be capable of looking into western
sources to assess the possibility of a comet in late
593 and early 594?

>By the way, I have your latest book, Man and Impact
in the Americas. Many thanks for it and your other
researches.

>Best wishes,
>
>Robert Juhl on Penang

Hi Rob -

With your permission, I'll condense our correspondence
and forward it to the meteorite list, where you have
your best chance of meeting up with someone with the
expertise you seek.

Or you could subsribe to the meteorite list yourself
and post your request there.

Either way, that's exactly where you have your best
chance.

The way I see it, the key problem right now is trying
to pin down the impact tsunami which destroyed the
Chinese fleet sometime in the 1400's CE.

all the best,
Ed

Hello Ed,

Yes, please condense our correspondence and forward it
to the meteorite list. I'll subscribe too, if you let
me know which meteorite list you mean.

Best wishes, as always,

Robert Juhl on Penang