[meteorite-list] Portales Valley Q

From: David Weir <dgweir_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Oct 21 14:48:33 2006

Michael,

This was the subject on the list just a year ago. I had expressed my
favor of the journal article by A. Ruzicka et al. (2005), which referred
to PV by a new term -- H-chondrite, metallic-melt breccia. Jeff Grossman
posted the following in reply, which actually does seem like a
completely logical classification based on the petrogenesis proposed in
the above paper:

Obviously there is disagreement among scientists
on what to call PV. I personally see no reason
to call it type 7, a primitive achondrite, an
achondrite OR to coin a new term. If I take the
conclusions of the Ruzicka study as a given, that
you had H6 material near its peak metamorphic
temperature, which additional shock heating and
mobilization of metal-rich melt, then I see no
reason not call it an H chondrite impact melt
breccia in which the clasts are dominantly type 6.

jeff