[meteorite-list] BRENAM - Does world-record meteorite await unearthing inKansas?

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Oct 15 13:49:00 2006

E.P. Grondine writes:

Perhaps my memory fails me, but I seem to remember that Brenham was
traded nearly two milleniums ago by Native Americans and showed up
in "hopewell" mounds, not the mere hundred years ago stated in the
Chronicle article.

Hello Ed and List,

Because you ask, I'd like to draw your and everybody else's attention to
a book published by an expert in this field. On page 208, the author says:

"At about the time the "Hopewell" appear in the Ohio Valley, a fairly
massive pallasite fell in Kansas. The crater it left measured 40 by 60
feet, this after some 2,000 years of weathering and 80 years of plowing ...

Fragments of worked pallasite have been found in Hopewell tombs in the
Hopewell Mounds group, with a radiocarbon date of around 47 BCE ...

There was a lot of this meteorite, and trade in it continued for some 500
years: goods made from it were also recovered from the Fort Ancient Site."

.. and this is the author and the book :-)

MAN AND IMPACT IN THE AMERICAS by E.P. GRONDINE

(ISBN 0-9776152-0-0)

Best wishes,

Bernd