[meteorite-list] Burn't cookies not off topic

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Oct 11 23:19:25 2006

Hi, Dave, List,

    I read (not heard) her statement:

        "The time went by really slowly, but finally
    the moment arrived and they were ready to
    open the hatch. Mike and Misha called me
    closer and told me to take a good whiff
    because this would be the first time I would
    smell 'SPACE.'
        They said it is a very unique smell. As
    they pulled the hatch open on the Soyuz side,
    I smelled 'SPACE.' It was strange. kind of
    like burned almond cookie. I said to them,
    'It smells like cooking' and they both looked
    at me like I was crazy and exclaimed: 'Cooking!'
        I said, 'Yes. sort of like something is
    burning. I don't know it is hard to explain.' "

    Anousheh Ansari isn't the first to describe
outer space as smelling like something burnt.
In a 2001 "Fresh Air" interview, NASA astronaut
Capt. Jerry Linenger describes the smell of space
this way:
  "Flying into MIR, it smells sort of like dirty
  sweat socks in a guys' locker room. Actual
  smell of space, though, that's a very interesting
  question. When we would open a hatch, for
  example, that was exposed to the vacuum
  of space, uh, there's always a double hatch,
  and so you open the one hatch, you now
  have the pure smell of space. And it's a uh,
  tough - you know, any aroma is tough to
  describe, but it has a distinct smell, and it's
  sort of a burned-out, uh, after-the-fire, the
  next-morning-in-your-fireplace sort of smell.
  And that's the real smell of the vacuum of
  space."
    It is said that lunar samples, when first exposed
to the Earth's atmosphere, have a "burnt" smell.

Sterling K. Webb