[meteorite-list]TUCSON AUCTION 2007

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Oct 8 16:39:08 2006

Greetings all Meteorite friends,
       I am starting to get inquiries, so, just the
bare bones info on the Tucson Auction 2007:
                              ------
                     FOR BIDDERS:
- Oct 31: On ? line Catalog with all information
- Auction for 2007 is Sat, Feb. 3, same time,
same place (VFW Hall on Beverly) & lectures
by SWMC from 6 to 7PM
    - All items will be on display by 6:30PM at the
latest.
    - Bidding opens at 7:30PM sharp
    - Bidders MUST sign in in person ? no one can
sign in for anyone else ? buyers will be processed
afterwords in the order they signed in, HOWEVER,
I am arranging to have 2 and preferably 3 people
taking payment from buyers after the bidding and one
person taking payment during the auction, itself, for those
who only want one or two items and then wish to leave.
This should get everyone done in 30 to 40% of the
time previously required.
       More information will be provided when the on-
line catalog goes up Oct. 31.
                                    --------
                            FOR SELLERS:
       It is that time of year! Time to submit items
for the Tucson Auction.
       As such, you are aware that each of the last
several years the auction has grown in terms of
numbers attending, quality of items submitted and
fun had by all. In addition, there has been a consistent
increase in profitability for placing quality items in
the auction, therefore, I now accept only pieces of
quality for the auction.
       This year I am looking to present an even more
impressive array of quality meteorite specimens and
a similarly more impressive on-line catalog. To do this,
I need anyone wishing to offer items to submit your list
and photographs of high quality items in a timely manor.
Particularly popular are historic falls, whatever the size,
and the rarer, the more action generated. (as per the
excellent responses the last couple of years to the exemplary
entries of Martin Horejsi). Super rare classifications, such
as the submissions of Adam and Greg Hupe also bring a
strong response and of course the super beautiful specimens,
such as those submitted by Eric Twelker in recent years
also earn strong responses from the bidding crowd.
       My overhead TRIPLED since last year (and is now
more than 10 times my cost the first couple of years), but
I am determined to continue to attract the highest quality
material ? so, in an attempt to keep everyone's costs at a
minimum, I am continuing to keep the commission for
auction sales at only 10% under the following conditions:
People submitting an items by Oct. 15 - this
includes high quality digital photos of their items.
Furthermore, this 10% fee is reserved for items
submitted for the on line catalog by Oct. 15th AND brought
to the auction by the seller between 5 and 6:30 pm the day
of the auction (Sat, Feb.3, 2007). There will be no
exceptions. People bringing items into the auction after
6:30 PM will be automatically be charged 15% of sale
price (even if they made the on line catalog deadline of
Oct. 15). Therefore, please be sure to sign your contract
prior to 6:30 PM.
People giving me their items to bring for them (whether
at the show or via mail) will pay a 20% commission.
People submitting items for the catalog after Oct. 15
will be charged 15% commission and 20% if they fail to
deliver the items at the auction by 6:30 PM.
       All submissions which are accepted by Oct. 15 will receive free
advertising in the on line auction catalog. Submissions
after that date are negotiable. Last minute submissions
(the day of the auction) will be charged 20% if accepted
and those submitted after 6:30 PM the day of the auction
will be charged 25%. Day of auction submissions must be
of the highest possible quality to gain acceptance.
       Any and all submissions at any time are subject to
approval based on quality and having a low or no minimum
bid. There will never be a hidden reserve on any item in my
auctions.
       Since payment by credit card has become common at the
auction, US sellers will be mailed full payment within 10
days of the auction. If payment is needed before that time,
this needs to be negotiated in advance. Overseas sellers will be paid
immediately after the auction or in their rooms the
next day if they are at Inn Suites unless they have a particularly
high priced item that sells by credit card. This is also an option for US
sellers who have a dealer room at Inn Suites at which they want to meet me.
Payment the night of the auction should be arranged in advance and is
discouraged unless circumstances absolutely require it.
Besides the credit card payments, this is to make for a "shorter night" ?
and in that respect, I am working on having 2 or 3 people to accept payment
from buyers after the bidding closes and one person to accept payment during
the auction from bidders who were there for only one or two items and who
want to leave after their purchase. This should dramatically streamline the
financial dealings of the auction, making it much shorter, therefore, more
enjoyable for all.
       If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask
via email or phone me at 619 286-4837.
       The week preceding the auction, I can be reached in
Tucson at 619 204-4138.
       Best wishes, Michael