[meteorite-list] Paypal Hackers WARNING!!!

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Oct 8 14:30:00 2006

Hi Dave, Don and all,

I have been forwarding these malicious attempts at fraud to ebay for the
last couple of years. eBay will send you a form letter stating they are
looking into it, then another email stating it isn't from them (or
paypal) and have turned it over to the proper authorities. I somehow
doubt that they are turning it over to investigators as there seems to
be a never ending stream of these attempts over and over again. Seems
like sooner or later they would be leery of trying to get information
the same way after others were investigated or arrested. I've never been
told that someone trying to attempt this type of fraud on me was
sentenced or anything remotely like that. I would be willing to bet that
I have forward more than a thousand such similar attempts and eBay will
only send information that tells you how to avoid spoof emails. This is
a serious thing that they shouldn't rest until they are able to improve
things.

Someone once said that eBay really only cares about making money.
Nothing wrong with that but their customer service, rating system and
prosecution of criminals that try to take advantage of their format is
sadly lacking. Safest bet is always go directly to the official site
(don't click on emails) and check emails and paypal accounts directly to
avoid major trouble.

--AL Mitterling
Mitterling Meteorites
www.Mitterling.com