[meteorite-list] History of meteorite collecting

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Zelimir.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Oct 5 11:00:33 2006

>Martin wrote:
>
>Hiiiistory, can please someone write an article about meteorite collecting
>from the 20ies to the 60ies, after the big national races in 19th century
>and a little bit later too, the establishing of the large collections of the
>worlds, I feel always such a large gap in the history of meteorite
>collecting until in the 60ies, 70ies one can read again more about
>meteorites.
> >From the time inbetween I have no ideas.
>Only sporadical episodes, that poor Nininger was forced to tinker funny
>stars from Canyon spherules in his museum for not having to starve.
>
>Thanks
>Martin

Hi Martin, all,

You can perhaps first read the wonderful book just out of press (June 2006):

"The History of Meteoritics and Key Meteorite Collections: Fireballs, Falls
and Finds"
Edited by G.J.H. McCall, A.J. Howden & R.J. Howarth

(Geological Society Publishing House, London, Special Publication, ISBN 10:
1-86239-194-7, hardback, 520 pages, special price: ?61.75/$111.15 (35% off
list price) + postage, valiid until Xth (?) of December 2006
To order, consult their site:
www.geolsoc.org.uk

There are 24 chapters of the highest interest dealing basically with
meteorite in history (overview from Renaisance to the 20th century,
L'Aigle, etc...), on history of key meteorite collections, essentially
museums (Vienna, Berlin, London, Paris, Russian Acad Sciences, Smithsonian,
AMNH, Tokyo, Perth...), chapters on desert meteorites (Bevan), and 8 more
general chapters on "contemporary meteorites" (chondrules, CAI'S, age
determinations, provenance and asteroid connection, Martian origin,
meteorites & origin of the solar system, history of meteorite cratering,
tektites..)

If you start reading, prepare a comfortable night with lots of coffee.

This is not really what you wanted (collecting in 20ies to 60ies) but would
give you a first idea. The chapters on the history of the key museum
collections is captivating (and updated!).

I agree though that your request remains open.

Are Kevin (Kitchinka) or Martin (Horejsi), others (?) ready to contribute
? Could one expect from them (and others) perhaps some nice paper in
prespective for "Meteorite Times" ?

Best to all,

Zelimir

Prof. Zelimir Gabelica