[meteorite-list] Puyallup Gem and Mineral Show

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Nov 11 21:27:59 2006

Dear List,

I just got back from the Puyallup Gem and Mineral show and I am pleased. I
just ordered over $2,000.00 in cutting and polishing supplies yesterday and
wished I had saved my money. I met this old-timer at the show who
manufactures his own cutting equipment including saws, diamond blades and
polishing disks. I purchased some supplies thinking they would be average in
quality. Usually a blade is good for a single cut through a Ureilite and
then it is done. I brought out my worst Ureilite and cut the entire stone
on one this old codger's blades. This means his blades are at least 20 times
as good as the most popular brands. I then mounted a four inch .004 blade on
my wafer saw and measured absolute zero run-out, mounted two more with the
same result, amazing! I measured the kerf and it was exactly .006 on every
blade, talk about consistency and to think I used to pay well over $200.00
each for blades that were no where near as consistent. I then rough
polished a couple of Ureilite surfaces on the 80 grit Judge Pad and it
chewed through them like candy. I would hate to get a knuckle caught on one
of these.

That is not all, he had everything I could imagine including foot pedal
power switches, vices with micrometer adjustable slide rails and every tool
you would ever need, all custom made. I asked about future availability in
case these items turned out to be good and he said, "you will be back." I
then talked to him about wire saws and he said, "I could get you into a 14"
model for less than $900.00" I asked him two times to make sure and he said
"Only an idiot would spend $50,000.00 on a wire-saw, give me there names, I
have some property in Idaho I need to get rid of." He said he would send
documents on the Taurus model and that with a few cheap modifications, it is
every bit as good as the $50,000.00 models. I asked if he would be in
Tucson and he said yes. I asked him if I could reorder products if I found
them to my liking. He responded that he doesn't design consumables rather
items built the old fashion way made to last and that he would see me in
Tucson if there was anything I needed and that he is always on the road
peddling his goods between manufacturing them. He said most manufactures
want the blades to wear out so that they can make money on selling
replacements. He then stated "They know that 3M has the best diamond
bonding agents but still use the cheap equivalent of wood glue instead." He
explained as the wood glue gets warm the diamonds shift to the position of
least resistance making for lousy cutting and that the 3M bonding agent
grips the bort like a mother f----r and I think he is right.

I will find out where he will be in Tucson and let others know. If you live
in Washington State, the show is still going on tomorrow so you may want to
take advantage of old-timer, Steve with excellent product. He is in the
back of the exhibition hall near the golden gate.

All the best,

Adam