[meteorite-list] NEW photos of the silicated iron. Formation mechanism?

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Nov 11 10:23:48 2006

Hi everyone -

Well, Mike certainly has obtained a rare specimen.

The question is "Why are silicated irons of this type
so rare?"

At the risk of revealing my stupidity, I'd like to ask
if it could be that they are cometary origin,
representing cometary core material?

That might account for the low temperature of
formation of the inclusions, which Elton pointed out.

good hunting,
Ed

http://www.meteoriteguy.com/collection/Patagoniairon.htm