(wrong string) ’s Greatest Meteorite Hunter

From: Ruben Garcia <meteoritemall_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Nov 2 17:31:52 2006

Hi All,

This thread began because of the write-up I did on
Skip Wilson for my web site. It was entitled
?America?s Greatest Meteorite Hunter? you can read it
at http://www.mr-meteorite.com

While I respect Al?s opinion and agree that H.H.
Nininger did incredible work in the field of
meteoritics (who wouldn?t). I really believe it is an
?apples and oranges? comparison that would not be fair
to either party.

Let me explain,
Nininger found 222 unique meteorites using his formula
for recovery. However, his formula for recovery was
not (for the most part) hunting. At least not in the
same sense as was meant in my write-up. So while
Nininger did track down many meteorites and was
responsible for many more, I wouldn?t really have
considered him a ?hunter?.

Remember, I say this with the utmost respect because
without H.H. Nininger we probably wouldn?t even be
having this conversation. (I?d be playing my guitar in
some club having never even been introduced to
meteorites)

H.H. Nininger worked full-time in meteoritics and
derived his income at least in part from meteorites.

Skip, on the other hand hunted meteorites in his spare
time and has always had a full-time job.

H.H. Nininger traveled all over the U.S.A in order to
come up with his 222 unique finds.

Skip found all of his meteorites in one state, New
Mexico. Even more incredible, all but eight of Skip?s
meteorites were found in a single county, Roosevelt
County.

(According to Skip his unique finds are somewhere
between 125 and 150. I choose to use the lower number
in my write up)

In my mind, it is possible that Rob Matson, Sonny
Clary, Bob Verish or another great un-named American
meteorite hunter could one day find more than 222
unique meteorites in America.

However, while still possible, it seems very unlikely
that one person will again find 125-150 unique
meteorites in a single county.

Maybe a loftier title should be reserved for H.H.
Nininger. After all he did much more for the science
of meteoritics than find meteorites.

Just as I doubt that any one person will out do Skip
and find more than 125-150 unique meteorites in a
single county, I also HIGHLY DOUBT that anyone will
come close to leaving such a lasting mark on
Meteorites the way H. H. Nininger did.

As for Myself, I still believe Skip Wilson is
?America?s Greatest Meteorite Hunter?

Ruben Garcia