[meteorite-list] Meteorite living database

From: Kevin Forbes <vk3ukf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Mar 24 10:40:41 2006

Hi list,

I would like to propose the development online, with all your help and
input,
A living upadatedable database for our collections and items for sale.

The database would of couse have to have live ONLINE on someones server that
has 24/7 online access.

I suggest that it be in a format that allows a personal copy for each
meteorite collector to be run on their own machine.

That the copy on each collectors machine maintain a valid database of their
own collection,.

It should allow for media files of specimens to be displayed., BMP, JPG,
MPEG, whatever.

And that their database, occassioanally, or at will, update the main
database server.

The intention of updating the database server is so that all other users
databases are also updated with the latest information, which should
include, New additions to personal collections, New additions to items for
sale, New additions to the Met Bull, etc.

I am somewhat fluent in Borland Delphi, but help is always appreciated.

This may be above me in the world these days, I don't know, unless we try.

I know that there are a lot of programmers out there, and lots of languages,
maybe we can get something together?

I think this would be a serious contribution towards the study, specimen
location, and availability of specimens on the internet and indeed the
world, once completed and operational.

If the collector does not wish their items to be displayed to the world, the
program should run in, PERSONAL MODE. (but that anyone running in personal
mode be displayed to other users as such)

I posess, a personal Borland Delphi license, which means that any software
that I develop, must be totally free to users. (which has always been the
case, see Ford Decoding, google) If I purchase a commercial license, I can
sell it. About $ 1500 USD

At the moment, everything is free.

All your suggestions are welcome.

A thought I had. :-)