[meteorite-list] An interesting (?) Chinese tektite

From: Norm Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Mar 10 11:55:20 2006

Dirk,

As I wrote earlier, I have seen this patina on old
ghost town bottles that have been through a fire.
There IS some connection. Perhaps the common ground
between our comments is that wood ash is strongly
alkaline. I remember my grandma leaching ashes to get
lye to make soap. Perhaps the accelerated chemical
reactions produced by heat combined with the alkaline
ash is the key--- Whatever the case, there is an
empirical connection with fire.

Norm
http://tektitesource.com