[meteorite-list] Any interesting (?) Chinese tektite

From: Göran Axelsson <axelsson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Mar 10 07:12:45 2006

It looks like a surface effect of some kind and might be a side effect
of cleaning.

I've seen similar effects on minerals and slag where a thin film or
layer on the surface works like an optical filter. If a surface is
covered in a thin layer of a substance with a different optical index it
will work as a filter and reflect certain wavelengths. If the thickness
is varying it will create a rainbow effect, much like the last of your
pictures.
It doesn't need to be covered in a foreign substance, it could also be
an alteration that is only affecting the surface.
The best examples of this phenomena is a drop of oil on a water surface
or the thin wall of a soap bubble.

/G?ran