[meteorite-list] OT: 1859 aurora in HI

From: Kevin Forbes <vk3ukf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Mar 5 07:13:06 2006

Hi Tracy and list, I certainly had fun looking at the data I did find. I had
more relevant info turn up with my first search string than my second,
results below.

All the best and good luck to your librarian friend. Kevin Forbes. VK3UKF.

Google search string "1859 aurora"

Extensive data
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/mystery_monday_031027.html

Mention only
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solar_flare_031028.html

Extensive data
http://www.rainbowriderstradingpost.com/article1.html

Historical document sold on eBay, check this out before eBay delete the ad,
it has been sold.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Orig-1859-Melb-OBSERVATORY-Aurora-Sunspots-

etc_W0QQitemZ7009624488QQcategoryZ11100QQcmdZViewItem

Extensive data
http://www.oulu.fi/~spaceweb/textbook/great_aurora.html

Eyewitness/writers name mentioned
http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=ss&id=79

Extensive data
http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF5/518.html

Good info & names
http://www.solarstorms.org/SOlmsted.html

Forum discussion
http://www.spacew.com/forum/index.php/topic,68.0.html

Extensive historical data
http://www.albany.edu/faculty/rgk/atm101/aurora.htm

PDF
http://pwg.gsfc.nasa.gov/polar/EPO/auroral_poster/aurora_all.pdf

Mentions demise of telegraph systems, describes the failures during the
aurora
http://earlyradiohistory.us/1860auro.htm

Google search string "1859 aurora hawaii"

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/solarsystem/perfect_space_storm.html

http://www.cronaca.com/archives/001611.html