[meteorite-list] Largest Crater in the Sahara Desert and LDG

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Mar 5 06:01:14 2006

Gee, Doug,

    For once, I am not creating a crackers theory of my own.
I am merely explaining how a certain geochemical test procedure
works. Not being a geo- or a cosmo- chemist, I am taking the
word of Matthies, D. and Kroeberl, C., Fluorine and Boron
Geochemistry of Tektites, Impact Glasses, and Target Rocks,
Meteoritics, 26 (1991), 41-45, both of whom AM geochemists.
Also, see K. H. Wedepohl, Handbook of Geochemistry (1978).
Blah, blah.

    Think about it. You gotta rock. Mixture of complicated
crystals. Many elements. Huge heating event. Rock melts.
Rock vaporizes. Molecules dissociate. Now it's a plasma,
composed entirely of elements, too hot to form compounds.
The volatile elements in this plasma escape from the plasma
faster than the less volatile, which in turn escape faster
than the "refractory" (who are stubborn and hang around).
The plasma continues to heat. Volatiles go faster and faster.
At a high enough temperature, the mean free path of atoms
and their rate of escape is pretty much totally determined
by the thermal energy of the plasma and the mass of the atom
and the chemical characteristics of the substance matter not
at all. It's physics now, not chemistry. Element 5 (mass 11)
and element 9 (mass 19) are both moving like there was
a 38,000 degree plasma on their tail (and there is). They
now escape at a similar rate. Get the literature. Look at
the pretty graphs that show how it works. There's some
chemical reason why this happens about the time they're
at the same concentration, but I forget it. It's chemistry.
Me, when I look at things like equilibrium condensation
diagrams or the reverse of same, my eyes start to glaze
over... So I just take their word for it. But as a physical
phenomenon, it fits my intuition. Look at the other light
atoms. Not many of them hanging around either.

    Makes silly hand gestures, points to self. I no chemist.
Physicist. Like big things (universe, stars, planets, rocks
the size of countries). Like little things (quarks, leptons,
cute little bosons, petite atoms). Don't like things inbetween.
That's why God made chemists and botanists. Let them
sort it out. They like that sort of thing for some reason...
    In 1962, when the number of "elementary" particles
officially went over 200, Enrico Fermi, getting old and
cranky, yelled, "Look at this f***g zoo! If I wanted this
mess, I'd have become a botanist!" (He was right; how
can you have more "elementary" particles making up
elements than there are elements? Maybe it means that
making elements is hard.)
    Crusty old physicists. Show me String Theory when
you can put the whole thing on ONE PAGE. Otherwise,

    Deep breath. The F/B ratios for ALL terrestrial rocks
comes from Kroeberl and Company (all of this does). That's
for the bulk compositional analyses of crustal rocks everywhere
that geologists have made 100,000's of for the last century
or so. Boring... Boron's just not as common as fluorine. The
ratios run 10:1, 20:1, 30:1. Earth rock just isn't (in bulk)
boronic. That crusty stuff in Death Valley doesn't count...
If boron was common, would they have send Ronald Reagan
and those 20 mules into Death Valley? (Old TV referrence.)
    If you think this is all hooey, complain to Kroeberl and Co.
Also Wedepohl, who publishes thick books full of endless
tables of bulk elemental compsitions. Lemme know what
happens.

    Seriously, I am miffed. I don't think this stuff is whacky
enough to be one of my whacky notions, and I'm insulted
that anyone should think so... Obviously, I'm not being
whacky enough.

    I'm quiting. It's late enough that I could go out
and wave at that comet myself.

Sterling K. Webb